Thursday, January 15, 2009

Who Reads the Global Health Report?

Based on your comments, I would have to say you are all intelligent and thoughtful, if still a little bit shy. (To keep things civil, I delete the comments from trolls and hucksters.) Thanks to some basic web analytics software, here is what else I know about the people who visit The Global Health Report.

Just over 1500 unique visitors come to the site in December 2008, a monthly rate that has quadrupled in the past year. (Is that good or bad? You tell me.)

If I'm reading the charts right,

97% used a fast connection
2% used dialup
fewer than 1% accessed the blog from a mobile phone.

In the past year, visitors have come from 140 countries, with the following breakdown for the top five:

United States 71%
United Kingdom 6%
Canada 4%
South Africa 2%

If you have simple ideas on how to increase the international readership of the blog, please let me know.

11% of visitors accessed the site using computers on university or college networks, with the top five being:

Harvard University
Northwestern University
George Washington University
Bowdoin College
University of Washington

1% of visitors accessed the site using computers at U.S. government agencies, with the top five being:

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The U.S. Department of State
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
The U.S. Agency for International Development
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Employees who use computer networks at the following press organizations (top 5):

BBC
Seattle Times
New York Times
Time Inc.
National Public Radio

Plus, a smattering of non-U.S. national and international agencies, several public relations agencies, some foundations and lots and lots of folks who I assume must be logging in from home on RoadRunner, Comcast, BellSouth, etc.

Related post:
Top 5 Blog Posts for 2008

5 comments:

Mari said...

you could probably get more hits if your RSS feed showed more than just the title (maybe the first paragraph) - I rarely click through because I can't tell what the post is really about just by the title.

Christine Gorman said...

Well, that's odd. I have the site feed set to show 255 characters of the first paragraph. Both RSS and Atom feeds seem to be okay. How are you accessing the feed?

Anonymous said...

I use google reader and I get the whole feed most of the time. Also, I'm very surprised that a small college like mine(Bowdoin) made the top 5 for colleges. I didn't know global health was so popular here.

Christine Gorman said...

Clearly Bowdoin can boast some smart folks!

Evelyn said...

Christine, thanks for sharing the statistics!