Friday, February 13, 2009

What's New in Health and Human Rights?

I am giving one of two keynote speeches at the 2009 GlobeMed Global Health Summit in Chicago April 2-4. The theme for the gathering is "From Idea to Implementation: Securing Health as a Human Right," so I chose as the working title for my talk "Health and Human Rights: A Journalist's Perspective."

Kind of as a lark, I threw that phrase "Health and Human Rights: A Journalist's Perspective" into a Google search and much to my surprise got an exact hit. Television producer Rory O'Conner chose that as the title for a blog post that has some vintage video of the late Jonathan Mann talking about health and human rights.

So I changed my working title to "Health and Human Rights: One Journalist's Perspective," which isn't much of a distinction I admit. I also watched the interviews with Mann and others. They have held up quite well--even after ten years.

And they remind me how much AIDS, like the Holocaust before it, has taught us about human rights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Christine,

I've been desperately seeking for the plumpy'nut recipe. Would you be so kind as to point me somewhere I can see it? Been reading the blog, keep up the good work!

Yours,
Paulo

jshaffer said...

Hi Christine,

I'm so excited to finally meet you at the GlobeMed Summit. We are all really excited, it is going to be a great weekend!

Also, really excited to chat with you more about how we can continue to drive quality global health discussion online through blogs and more traditional media. I'm interested to hear your ideas.

Sorry about being MIA for the blog carnival a while back... biomedical engineering got the best of me. I'll definitely be involved in the next one though :)

Best,
Jon