Friday, June 22, 2007

How Does A Computer Define Global Health News?

I still have a lot to learn about tags, feeds, pipes and customized search engines. I've used all these tools to try to organize news and information about global health. But I haven't yet hit on the best combination to keep me up to date without a lot of time spent trolling the Internet on my part.

My latest frustration: I can't get a single RSS or Atom feed that automatically updates for global health news. Yahoo News will give me various health feeds or world news feeds but nothing that combines the two. I've been experimenting with pipes at Yahoo to combine and filter feeds but am not terribly impressed with the results for global health.

Part of the problem seems to be that it's difficult to create general categories for the blend of articles about economics, health, human rights, environment and policy that makes up global health. The keyword approach (AIDS, G8, HIV, malaria, maternal mortality, sanitation, sustainable development, tuberculosis, vaccine, water, women's rights . . . ) seems way too inelegant.

So, I'm relegated to using my own 'noggin plus Google Reader to share news items that I find interesting on my Global Health Mini-blog at right. It's easy but it's still rather manual.

In the meantime, I've also updated my Technorati Profile to claim this blog as well.

No comments: